Garrison-Logan Family History & Genealogy
You are currently anonymous Log In
 

 Watts Chapel Cemetery, Grandview, Johnson County, Texas, United States


Latitude: 32.185078353, Longitude: -97.16836368
Watts Chapel Cemetery

Notes:
The Rural Watts Chapel Community is named for the family of Nathanial Franklin Watts (1851-1919), who settled in this area of Johnson County in 1872. Watts married Rachel Ann Bennett in 1875, and they bought a small farm near this site. They acquired additional acreage over the years and operated a cotton gin for farmers in the region. Mr. Watts later served as a Johnson County commissioner.

Nathanial and Rachel Watts were the parents of twelve children, five of whom died at an early age. The Watts Chapel Cemetery began as a family burial ground in 1879, when their infant daughter, Sallie, died and was buried on the family farm. Over the years other family members also were interred here, as were friends and neighbors in the community.

In 1892 the Watts family deeded three acres of land to the Methodist Church, the Rev. B.F. Badget served as first pastor of the new congregation, which was named Watts Chapel in honor of the its benefactors. The congregation continues to be an active part of the community and hosts an annual homecoming celebration. Both the church and the cemetery reflect the pioneer heritage of rural Johnson County.

Photo used with permission, courtesy of Tom Bennett, www.findagrave.com, 6/22/2009.



All Burials

   Last Name, Given Name(s)   Buried   Person ID 
1. SENTER, Dora Jane   bur. 6 May 1946 Watts Chapel Cemetery, Grandview, Johnson Co, Texas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location I2782
2. VENABLE, Marvin Richard   bur. 2 Dec 1926 Watts Chapel Cemetery, Grandview, Johnson Co, Texas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location I2524
3. VENABLE, Richard Harmon   bur. 16 May 1943 Watts Chapel Cemetery, Grandview, Johnson Co, Texas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location I2781